Saturday, September 21, 2013

Getting settled in

Friday we ended up having the unexpected privilege of helping out with the public witnessing trolley.  We jazzed out up a little but by adding Italian, English, Spanish and and Arabic magazines.  We had an awesome few hours at the beach.  While people strolled and exercised we displayed the Suffering poster and attracted many different possibilities to the trolley.  We placed 2 Bible Teach books, over 30 magazines and potentially started 2 Bible studies.  We even met some.Italians!  At 7:30 pm we were joined by the Italian group and they walked the promenade while Marcia and I held down the trolley and.got too know each other better. 
Today I got to try two new foods. One was simply a young green coconut that is sold for $1 and the vendor chops off the top and sticks a straw in for you enjoy the sweet water.  Then you can bring the coconut back and they cut it in half with a machetti.  I took mine home, scrapped out the coconut meat and added sugar , milk and ice and blender it..yummy!
The other tasty treat was called..
Saturday was another service oriented day.  At 8:45 we met and split into 2 car groups and covered the known Italian addresses.  We didn't find anyone in my car group but were able to add new names thanks to friendly doormen.
after the morning we ate typical Carea food. Bbq beef that is brought on a still lit grill with onions and cheese, rice, yucca fries, beans, shredded beef and pico di gallo.  It was delicious! after that we needed a nap.  Then it was back to the hall at 3 pm for evening witnessing at the beach.  We stayed out until 7 pm.  My feet hurt but we had 2 very nice conversations with nice Italians. On the way back to home, we stopped for a snack of fried cheese balls and cashew and apple juice.. sounds like a weird combination nut its actually quite tasty.  Then we said goodbye to Priscilla and Aldehelando since they had up to an hour commute back home on the bus.
Sunday we had the meeting all in Italian and did phone witnessing in the back while English had their meeting.  I take back English needing help..lol. They had like 50 people whereas we had 15.
After service we were invited to a friends house for a cookout/ pool party.  There I had so much meat that I'm actually taking a meat break for a week.lol.  It sure was good though...
One of the sisters who really had helped us get set up is actually a newscaster so we accompanied her to a fashion gig she had to cover.  We browsed through designer booths and Naomi found some "killer" shoes she couldn't resist.  You know cheap ol me didn't buy anything..lol. I just looked. I was mad when the $5 bathing suits were dental style.  If you don't know what that means, it refers to the style of the bottom of the bikini..dental floss.nuff said , that ain't gonna work for a Christian lol.
We ended the night with a MPS fashion show. MPS stands for Miss Plus Size...interesting.
Monday I over slept and missed the 8am group..told you it was gonna be hard... But I meet the 3 pm group for phone witnessing.  The sister how invited me however failed to inform me that the preaching was in a Portuguese!! Lol I did my best but eventually defaulted to letter writing after several episodes of having to pass the phone over. But the other sisters had nice long extended conversations.  We had endless territory due to all the gated buildings.
Tuesday after Portuguese service Naomi and I started making Italian Business territory by searching on the internet for Italian restaurants.  So far we found 80 but I know there are many more since there are over 2 million people in Fortaleza.  At the Gelato place where we used the wifi I tried Tapioca for the first time.  Its a snack here made into a sort of crepe that you can fill with many toppings.  I tried the simple one with just butter.  There was some green sauce on the side, sadly I found out that is was mayo after I asked for more..gross!
Later Naomi taught her first Italian class! It lasted 2 hours and comprised of 3 parts.  Grammar, culture and Italian for the ministry.  Interestingly it was held during the English meeting so we couldn't clap but we laughed ALOT!!
Wednesday we did more service and after getting desperate for internet Naomi asked a neighbor for a password for their wifi, and surprisingly they gave it to us!  So now the 2 American girls, (us) look even crazier because we sit outside at night in our courtyard on our laptops.  Lol 
Thursday we were invited to a sisters house for lunch!  Everything is here house that is related to art was hand painted by her, even the plates we ate on!  She's good!! Now she pioneers and closed her studio where she used to teach.  What sacrifice!  Later we had our Italian meeting and Naomi gave her first part! 
Friday I started my first Portuguese Bible study!  I was with another sister and as we approached a man working as a guard for an apartment building he was reading his Bible.  She receives a phone call and then I'm left speaking with this man about Psalms 37:29.  So
I turned to chapter 3 of the Bible Teach Book and we did the first paragraph together and i asked him to respond in his own words, and he did
!  After service, we searched for tapioca and found some at
Pao De
Acuzar, a grocery store.
This time I was more adventurous and tried
Romeo and Juliet which is
Guayana fruit with cheese.  It was a sweet and filling combo.


I did telephone witnessing again in Portuguese and this time people understood me
! :
)  After we did beach witnessing and after enjoyed.
BB
Q on the beach.  What a satisfying day
!
Naomi's designer shoes
Vera's sweet parents!
The yummy meat Vera's dad cooked
Adhlelando and Priscilla after service
Phone witnessing and letter writing in Italian
Phone witnessing and Letter writing in Portuguese
A plate that MArcia hand-painted
My first tapioca
Portugues Service (the brother on R baptized 3 yrs, in his 80s and pioneering)
Marcia's Portuguese bible tudy
Romeo and Juliet Tapioca
Italian Class-Rosa teaching Culture
Italian Class
Marcia

No comments:

Post a Comment